Thursday, April 21, 2022

American Splendor review

 

There's very few movies that inspired me, and this film was no exception. This was the movie that inspired and encouraged me to become a fiction writer. I don't remember exactly when or how I came across this movie, but I think I randomly came across a copy of the dvd at a 2nd & Charles store and looked up about this film and read into Harvey Pekar's work, mainly his American Splendor comic series. I've watched the movie before I read Pekar's comic series. Needless to say, I'm a fan of Harvey Pekar's work and thankfully, I own the volume collection which contains all of his American Splendor comic issues (with the exceptions of the recent ones published by Dark Horse and Vertigo). Anyway, this movie is great, from its writing and story to its performance and cinematography. Paul Giamatti did a great job portraying Harvey Pekar in this film, as well as the filmmakers who made this movie about his life and his work in the comic medium. Highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment