Saturday, March 5, 2022

I caved in and bought the Witcher books

 


Well, I caved in lol. In all seriousness, I wouldn’t have bought these books had it not been for Denis Gordeev’s artwork for the Russian edition of the Witcher stories that convinced me otherwise and got me interested in the stories, characters and its world despite having some plagiarized elements from Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melnibone series. I have played Witcher 2 and 3 before, and I still hate them lol. Not because they’re terrible, they’re pretty decent and fun games. It’s just that 1) I got mad after getting the bad ending for Witcher 3. Petty, yes, but I did not know that I was doing anything wrong that would determine the outcome of the ending. 2) Despite being fun, they’re not fully-fledged RPGs [at least, they’re a departure compared to the first game, which does play like an RPG instead of having “RPG elements” like Skyrim and the like]. Also, I think for the first game, it’s really arrogant of the developers to claim that their game was a “true RPG” compared to Mass Effect, yet they used the same engine as Mass Effect [the egos of this company! Also, thanks for contributing to the plagiarism, numbnuts]. 3) They’re a bit of a far-cry or departure compared to the Witcher books and fairly different of their portrayal of the main character (including the inclusion of silver swords to kill monsters) despite their series being a continuation of the books. These books are not the Russian editions (obviously), nor does it include Gordeev’s Witcher illustrations, but I’m always gonna have his interpretations of the characters in mind when I get around to reading these short stories. Looking forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment